Sunday, May 29, 2005

Lang: Details

Chapter 13

Ava Lang’s mind raced. Her private investigator had seen her husband Greg going in and out of that hotel for three days straight. The same hotel his so-called client Jamie Rosen just said she was staying.

Ava rationalized and excused herself from the table for a moment as Greg sat back down. She had no reason to believe that Greg’s visits to Jamie’s hotel that week weren’t legitimate. Still, she couldn’t shake the feeling that something was a little off. Why wouldn’t they have their business discussions in his office?

First, she needed to be sure that the woman the investigator saw was, in fact, Jamie Rosen.

Ava walked to her bedroom and grabbed her cell phone off the night stand. She headed into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. She dialed the private investigator’s number.

“Novak,” he answered.

“Don, it’s Ava.”

“Hi, Ava,” Novak said. “I’m sorry, I don’t have any new information for you.”

“No, I just have to ask you something about the woman you saw with Greg at the hotel,” Ava told him. “Can you describe her?”

Novak’s description of the woman was a perfect match to Jamie.

“Oh, by the way,” Novak continued. “I need to clear up something I told you this afternoon. I said I hadn’t seen the two kiss. Ava, I’m sorry but when I reviewed the video footage I had taken, I saw they had kissed. It was unmistakable. I must have looked away for a moment.”

Ava was silent. “Ava, are you there?” Novak said. “I know this is difficult to hear. I’m working another job right now. Call me later if you need to talk.”

Ava opened the door and was startled to see Greg standing there.

“Is everything all right?” Greg asked.

“Of course. Why did you leave Jamie out there by herself?”

“I didn’t, she had to leave quickly. She got a call from her husband; one of their children is at the emergency room. She’s taking the next flight back home.”

“Oh no. That’s awful.”

“Yeah. Let’s go clean up out there.”

Greg walked out of the room in front of Ava. As she stepped out of her bedroom she felt a sudden blow to the back of her head. She was out cold on the floor.

Ava woke up hours later. She didn’t recognize her surroundings at first but soon realized she was in a hospital. She looked around for a doctor. She started pressing buttons on the side of her bed. One triggered a nurse to walk in.

“You’re awake,” said the nurse. “We weren’t sure if you’d—”

“Where am I?” Ava asked.

“You’re at Cook County General. You sustained a head wound but now that you’ve woken up, you should recover just fine.”

“How did I get here?”

“Um, I don’t really know,” the nurse said with a puzzled look. “Let me go get the doctor who admitted you.”

A few minutes later, a man wearing a white coat walked in the room. “Hi, I’m Dr. Townsend. Do you remember what you were hit in the head by?”

”I don’t remember being hit in the head,” Ava said.

“Hmm. Well, do you remember—”

“The nurse, excuse me, the nurse said you could tell me how I got here.”

Townsend stared at Ava and raised his head. “Ma’am, you were left here. Outside. Witnesses say a couple dragged you out of the backseat of a car, left you on a bench outside the hospital and drove off. I was admitting people at the time and you had a pretty bad head wound.”

“Who left me?”

“No one knows. What’s your name?”

Ava sat there a moment. Trying to remember. Everything seemed like a blur in her mind. She started to panic. She couldn’t even remember her own name. She couldn’t remember anything.

“I don't know.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home